Inclusiveness is one of our three key strategic values and we want it to be part of everything we do and every decision we take - as a professional body and as an employer.
By signing the Royal Academy of Engineering’s Engineering Diversity Concordat in October 2013 and the Science Council's updated diversity declaration we agreed to achieve the following objectives:
- Communicate our commitment to equality and inclusion principles and practices.
- Appoint board level diversity champion who, in partnership with the senior executive staff member in our organisation, will advocate the importance of equity, diversity and inclusion, and be accountable for improving practice and communicating our EDI strategies to our staff, membership and other stakeholders.
- Plan and implement a programme of work to embed the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion into our current organisational policies, practices and behaviours, and enhance the equality of opportunity in our activities as an employer and professional body.
- Measure, assess and reflect on progress and reporting on our activities annually to our staff and members.
- Facilitate collaboration and share good practice with other professional bodies and link up with other relevant organisation
We have gone much further with an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy and extensive EDI action plan that covers all areas of our organisation.
It matters to us and it matters to our members
"I'd like to say that as a member of the LGBTQ+ community the fact that IPEM is taking these issues seriously is quite assuring"
"The unique challenges that are put in our paths, which reflect our backgrounds and individuality, most certainly differ and we are grateful they are being addressed by IPEM.”
Our partners and connections
Part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion is to work with other organisations so we can share best practice and support other activities.
- In2Science Promoting social mobility and diversity in STEM through work placements, training and university admission support.
- BAME STP Trainee Network A team of Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic (BAME) trainees and allies working together to identify areas for change and to drive improvement on NHS healthcare science programmes
- We participate in many EDI committees and initiatives from: The Science Council, Royal Academy of Engineering, Institute of Physics, Athena Forum, Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers, InterEngineering, LGBTSTEMDay, Women in Engineering and Science, Professional Associations Research Network (PARN) and others.
If you would like to connect with us, work with us or comment please contact email@example.com
Resources of interest
Read the personal histories of some of our members to celebrate the history of the LGBTQ+ movement