Professional Registration

Apply for Professional Registration with IPEM

As well as regulation for professionals working in healthcare, there are professional registers operated by the Engineering Council and the Science Council for which IPEM is licensed to assess applications and make registration awards.  These professional registers are open to IPEM members who are professional engineers and professional scientists who meet the competence requirements set out by the Councils whether they are working in healthcare, academia or industry. In addition, Clinical Technologists can join the Register of Clinical Technologists (RCT) which is a register accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA) and administered by IPEM.

Engineering Council

For Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Chartered Engineer (CEng) registrations

The Science Council

For Science Technician (RSciTech), Registered Scientist (RSci) and Chartered Scientist (CSci) registrations.

Registration and Regulation

Healthcare regulation is designed to assure patients and the public, as well as employers, that practitioners on a register are appropriately qualified and competent to practice.  It sets a standard that is recognised throughout the United Kingdom and provides significant public protection from unprofessional or unethical behaviour.  Regulation is mandatory for certain healthcare professions, for example, 'Clinical Scientist' is a protected title via regulation and Clinical Scientists are regulated by the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC). 

All professional registrants are required to carry out and record Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activities. Resources are available through IPEM to help registrants plan, record and submit their CPD.