International activities and connections
IPEM cooperates with a range of international partners in the areas of medical physics and clinical and biomedical engineering.
Vice President International
Dr Claire-Louise Chapple, Head of Imaging Physics and Radiation Safety at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, is the current Vice President International.
Dr Chapple said: 'Whilst IPEM is based in the UK, it has many members throughout the world and there are many developments elsewhere that should and do impact on IPEM’s activities. I have had a number of roles working with international organisations over recent years, and I hope to bring some of that experience to benefit IPEM and its members.
'I look forward to liaising with, and representing, our international members and to supporting IPEM's engagement with its many international partners.'
International membership benefits
IPEM’s international members benefit from:
- Four international journals in biomedical engineering and medical physics, with free online access for Full Members and Fellows
- An international e-books programme
- Free membership for undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Reduced costs for conferences and scientific reports
- Jobs and sector information through job bulletins and Scope
- An extensive selection of prizes, bursaries, awards and travel grants
IPEM attends international conferences as a way to engage with national and international bodies to support their activities and share the Institute's experiences and skills.
Two of the organisations IPEM works very closely with publish regular newsletters, which you can access:
The Low and Middles Income Countries award recognises the challenges faced by some medical physicists and clinical engineers internationally to access professional activities in their local areas.