Becoming a Clinical Scientist
Clinical Scientist is a protected title, and may only be used by those registered with the Health and Care Professions Council.
There are several routes to registration as a Clinical Scientist:
- IPEM's Clinical Scientist Guided Training Scheme.
- The Scientist Training Programme operated by the National School of Healthcare Science.
- Scottish Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering Scheme, operated by Health Education Scotland
- "Route 2" through in-work training, operated by the Association of Clinical Scientists
- STP Equivalence, operated by the Academy of Healthcare Science
- Level 7 apprenticeships, still under development.
IPEM offers support to those seeking registration as a Clinical Scientist through 'Route 2'. To use 'Route 2', you need:
- An MSc, or to demonstrate equivalent learning
- A suitable role in which to acquire clinical experience.