Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

Incorporated Engineers maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology, and may undertake engineering design, development, manufacture, construction and operation.

Incorporated Engineers are variously engaged in technical and commercial management and possess effective interpersonal skills.

Benefits of IEng professional qualification

  •  Recognition of your expertise and hard work 
  •  High self-esteem
  •  Higher earnings potential
  •  Improved career prospects
  •  Greater influence within your organisation and industry
  •  Access to life-long learning
  •  International recognition of your qualifications
  •  Letters after your name eg J.Smith IEng 

 Watch the Engineering Council video!


The IEng professional qualification is open to anyone who can demonstrate the required professional competences and commitment. These are set out in the Engineering Council's professional standard, UK-SPEC, and are developed through education and working experience.

The process will be more straightforward if you have particular academic qualifications, which will also allow you to obtain interim registration.For IEng these are:  

  • an accredited Bachelors or honours degree in engineering or technology

  • or a Higher National Certificate or Diploma or a Foundation Degree in engineering or technology, plus appropriate further learning to degree level

  • or an NVQ4 or SVQ4 which has been approved for the purpose by a licensed engineering institution.

However, you can still become an Incorporated Engineer if you do not have these academic qualifications. Further information about the assessment process can be found in UK-SPEC.The Engineering Council provide information about this level of registration. Including a useful eBook.

How to Apply 

Please use the up-to-date application forms below which reflect the latest version of UKSPEC.

1.    Use the Application for Recognition of Qualifications form to apply to have your qualifications checked by the Registrars.

2.    Overseas qualifications need to be certified by NARIC. Please include a NARIC certificate with your Recognition form.

3.   You should be a member of IPEM.  Click here for the JOIN IPEM page.

4.    Contact the IPEM office for the Pre-Advice document below and discuss with the Registrars what further information to include.  This will comprise a detailed report demonstrating how you meet the UKSPEC competences

Click here to view the current fees for IEng registration. 

Need some help?

Check the Guidance Document for further advice. [available soon]

The IEng Registrars are also happy to help. Their contact details can be found in the IEng Pre-Application Advice. Please contact the IPEM National office for a copy, and also for help with the application processs.

IPEM Code of Professional Conduct

IPEM Governance 

CPD Scheme

© Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine

Registered in England and Wales (No. 3080332)
Registered Charity (No.1047999)